All our programs are completely tailored to the specific requirements of our clients.
Our ‘Vulnerable Communities’ training programs are completely tailored to the specific issues faced by a community at risk of the effects of climate change. Our training programs are entirely developed and delivered in-house by a highly skilled team of facilitators and project management staff. This Capacity-Building Program is typically requested/ funded by a local or state/ province Government, NGO or private company where the issues of climate change are likely to affect local environment and/ or livelihoods. Participants are upskilled on issues associated with climate change and are given meaningful solutions (which can be implemented locally) to combat its effect on ecosystem services/ functioning and livelihood retention/ development. Our programs can be designed around a specific habitat and/ or livelihood at risk from climate change:
This training program provides a unique opportunity for your community to gain a foundational understanding of the concept of climate change and its relevance at a local level. It involves the development and delivery of site/ issue specific content which will assist local people/ business owners/ agriculturalists to understand how their lives/ local environments are likely to be affected by climate change, and how these affects can be minimised.
All programs are completely tailored to the specific requirements/ desired outcomes of the community. Program duration is usually between 3-9 days, at a location (preferably) within a short travel distance from the community. Options for ‘Train the Trainer’ type delivery are both advised and are complimentary with the training program.
Below is an example itinerary for the first day of a 7-day “Climate Change” Capacity Building Program.
|08:30-09:15||OPENING EXERCISE: Personal timeline of change in the coastal and marine Environment
|09:30-10:15||INTRODUCTIONS: Individuals introductions through the explanation of the timeline
|10:15-10:45||QUESTIONNAIRE: Global Warming – What Do You Know?|
|11:00-11:30||1.1 UNDERSTANDING CLIMATE CHANGE:
· What is climate?
· The history of climate change
· The ‘Greenhouse Effect’
· How has climate already changed?
· What has been the result of this change so far?
· How will climate change in future?
· What will be the result of this change?
|11:30-11:45||VIDEO: Fossil Fuels – The Engines of our Lives (12min – PBS) OR equivalent|
|11:45-13:00||EXERCISE 1.1: Each One – Teach One: Team presentations on 1) the structure of the atmosphere; 2) heat trapping gases in the atmosphere; 3) the ‘Greenhouse Effect’|
|14:00-14:30||VIDEO: Watching The World Change (12min – PBS) OR equivalent|
|14:30-14:45||1.2 HOW HUMAN ACTIVITIES PRODUCE GREENHOUSE GASES:
· Fossil fuels and greenhouse gas emissions
· Deforestation and carbon dioxide
· Animals and methane
· Other sources of CO2 emissions
|14:45-15:00||1.3 EVIDENCE FROM PAST CLIMATES:
· Natural climate variability – sea level changes during the past 18,000 years
· Study of earlier climate based on indirect evidence
· How the study of past climate changes provides insights into human induced climate change
|15:00-15:45||EXERCISE 1.2: Climate change at local and global scales using direct observation and historic data|
|16:00-16:15||1.4 WHERE DO WE START?
· The policy makers challenge to limit emissions
· Cost-effective policies
· New energy technologies
· New approaches to agriculture and forestry and coastal resource management
· Global cooperation and technology
|16:15-16:30||1.5 INTERNATIONAL RESPONSE TO CLIMATE CHANGE:
· Global climate change conventions
· Regional response to climate change
· Local response to climate change
· Individual response to climate change
|16:30-17:00||THE CLIMATE CHANGE CONVENTION AND FINANCING:
· Financing to address the causes and consequences of climate change
|17:00-17:15||VIDEO: Ten Years To Reverse the Course (10 mins PBS)|
HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS: Two (2x) teams will each be assigned a case study to review and present to the class on Day 2 (Sea Turtles and The Philippines).
END SET DAY PROGRAM